Sunday, August 9, 2009

Day # 87- You are dead to me.

It's been exactly 87 days since I last spoke with my mom and dad.

We met for a late lunch at the creperie down the street from my apartment. After they ordered lunch, they told me that they were cutting me off financially. With all my many siblings, they decided that they couldn't afford to help everyone. Well, actually-- they just couldn't afford to help me.
What the hell?

"What about the others?" I asked in disbelief. "Mom and Dad, I get that you are struggling and I get that you are afraid. That's cool. But if you need to marshall your resources, why not cut across the board and diminish your financial aid to all the other sisters and ex-son-in-law and his family?" I argued, hoping that this logic would spare me.

But my father just yelled back, saying that the decision was already made and that I should just accept it.

I stood up, thanked them for choosing me to be the sacrificial lamb, asked for the check, paid it, then turned around and walked away. I haven't seen them since that day. I haven't spoken with them, either.

Yes, maybe it's time for me to be fully self-sufficient. I get that. I truly do. But I can't help but feel that I have been hung out to dry. To this day, they are still giving money to my sister's ex-husband and his parents and brother! But they stopped helping me.

Now, I am facing a world of hurt in the form of pending foreclosure and possible bankruptcy.

Oh well, as you will see in the following posts, this is just the a little part of what it's like in my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment